Are you trying to find more information about a veteran?

It may be helpful to request a government copy of official records for military personnel.

The National Personnel Records Center of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), located in St. Louis, Missouri, holds military service records from World War I on, and is the official repository for records of military personnel discharged from the U.S. Air Force, Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Coast Guard in modern times. Requests for copies of records must be made in writing.

Requests for copies of military service and pension records can be made by completing and sending NARA's Standard Form 180. Also, a veteran, or next-of-kin of a deceased veteran, may use eVetRecs to prepare a specific written request for copies of military records that can be printed and mailed.

Note: In July of 1973, a fire destroyed millions of military personnel files. The affected records include 80% of Army personnel discharged from November 1, 1912, to January 1, 1960, and Air Force personnel with names alphabetically after Hubbard, James E., discharged from September 25, 1947, to January 1, 1964.